The United Nations’ International Day of Education celebrates the role of education for peace and development around the world.
Our 2022 International Day of Education program focused on international educational exchange – learners traveling to other parts of the world to gain new perspectives, and learners coming to Minnesota to be part of our world-class and increasingly globally-diverse educational system. Presentations featured international, national, and local advocates and activists who are shaping the future of learning, including a keynote presentation by Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University and President of the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
Watch the entire event recording below or see the following table of contents for specific times of speakers and sessions.
- 00:14:30 – Mark Ritchie, President, Global Minnesota
- 00:21:48 – Welcome message by Governor Tim Walz
International Panel from #LearningPlanet Festival 2022: New Narratives for Learning in the 21st Century – Part I
- 00:24:50 – Moderator: -Mr Anthony MacKay, CEO & Board Co Chair, National Center on Education and the Economy, Australia Speakers: – Mamphela Ramphele, co-president Club of Rome, South Africa -Ms Runa Khan, founder and executive director Friendship, Bangladesh -Mr Satish Kumar, founder Schumacher college, India-UK -Ms Melati Wijsen, Founder, Youthtopia, Indonesia -Ms Anoushka Sinha, Founder/CEO, Roshan Bharat, India
International Panel from #LearningPlanet Festival 2022: New Narratives for Learning in the 21st Century – Part II
- 01:57:22 – Moderator: -Mr Anthony MacKay, CEO & Board Co Chair, National Center on Education and the Economy, Australia Speakers: -Mrs Amanda Ellis, Executive Director, Asia Pacific, Global Institute of Sustainability and Innovation at the Global Futures Lab, ASU -Mrs Anousheh Karvar, Delegate of the French Government to the ILO’s Governing Body, as well as the Labour & Employment Task Officer to the G7 and G20. -Ms Memory Banda, Girls’ Rights Activist, Malawi
03:04:20 Mark introduces Dina Storey.
03:11:30 Introduction of Jeff Sachs by Dina Storey, Head of Sustainability Operations, Expo 2020 Dubai
03:13:45 Live Keynote Professor Jeffrey Sachs
03:32:00 Keynote H.R.H. Princess Reema bint Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
03:41:57 Conversation with Dina Storey, Head of Sustainability Operations, Expo 2020 Dubai and Mark Ritchie.
Importance of International Students to Minnesota
- 04:14:10 – Meredith McQuaid, Associate Vice President and Dean of International Programs for the University of Minnesota -Gabriela Zelaya, Global Education Team Leader for the U.S. Commercial Service, U.S. Department of Commerce Global Education Team -Monica McFarlane, Senior International Trade Specialist for the U.S. Commercial Service: Export Counseling and Assistance -Robbyn Wacker, President, St. Cloud State University
Importance of International Experiences for Minnesota’s Students
- 05:17:25 – Sri Zaheer, Dean, Carlson School of Management -Shawntera Hardy, founder of PolicyGrounds Consulting,co-founder and chief of strategy for Civic Eagle -Shawn Edwards, Entrepreneur
Lifetime Impacts of International Education
- 06:13:37 – Norman Gu, General Manager, Hormel Foods China -Guadalupe Quintero, Director of Community Partnerships, Minnesota State University, Mankato -Uri Camarena, Business Consultant Director, MEDA -Okechukwu Ukaga, Assistant Dean, University of Minnesota Extension -Thabani Sinkula, Senior Director Finance, CWT -Ertugrul Tuzcu, Distinguished Service Professor, University of St. Thomas University Opus College of Business
- 07:14:42 – Mark Ritchie, Global Minnesota
- Why is ‘International Education Day’ celebrated on January 24 – The Indian Express, January 24, 2022
- International Day Of Education 2022: Check Importance, Significance And Theme Here – RepublicWorld.com, January 24, 2022